Southern Pacific Train Depot (1900)
90 First Street
This building, originally erected in the mid-1890's in the town of Banta in Contra Costa County, was moved and erected at its present site in 1902. The depot location, at what was the entrance to the city and the center of Benicia's commercial and industrial activities for many years, made this the most visible and visited bulding in Benicia.
The depot was the last stop before train and travelers boarded "the largest ferry in the world." The Solano/Contra Costa Ferry, which carried them across the Carquinez Strait to Port Costa. Restored by city and volunteer funding 2001, the depot now is home to the Benicia Main Street Program.
Karen Burns shares the story of the last ferry to cross to Martinez and the opening of the Benicia-Martinez Bridge. Her father was the captain of the ferry.
This project was made possible by the Benicia Public Library, the Benicia Historical Museum, and the Benicia Historical Society through a NorthNet Library System Grant.